From the redeveloped engine to the available Audi virtual cockpit, technological innovations found throughout the 2017 Audi A4 provided inspiration for the precise and striking design details of the all-new sedan. The exterior has been redesigned to feature sportier proportions including a horizontal, contoured Singleframe® grille, powerful wheel arches and a crisp wrap-around shoulder line which flows seamlessly from the hood to the rear of the vehicle. The interior has a greater feeling of spaciousness and lightness due to a three-dimensional decorative inlay that spans from the door panels across the dashboard.
Featuring a completely redeveloped powertrain, the 2.0 TFSI® engine can generate 252 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. A significant weight savings was achieved through the aluminum-hybrid lightweight construction. The A4 also features a suite of advanced infotainment functions including the available Audi virtual cockpit and a newly designed infotainment system with standard Audi smartphone integration, which supports Apple CarPlay™ and Google™ Android Auto. An available 19 speaker, 755 watt Bang & Olufsen 3D Sound System virtually creates a sense of sound dimensionality offering a revolutionary, life-like musical experience. With exceptional attention to detail, dynamic handling, sharpened design and the latest technologies, the ninth generation A4 sets a new standard in the luxury sedan segment.
Chassis and Suspension
The powertrain and chassis of the all-new A4 have been completely redeveloped, allowing for a sportier driving experience and more comfortable ride for long distances. The newly developed S tronic® dual clutch transmission melds efficiency with dynamic shifting characteristics to help optimize fuel consumption. New front five-link suspension allows for greater steering precision and excellent handling through optimized steering-rack placement direct at wheel centers. Handling and comfort enhancements have also improved through the reduced unsprung weight of lightweight aluminum control-arm components and revised elastokinematic attributes.
Chassis and suspension features include
- New generation of the seven-speed S tronic® dual-clutch transmission for both the front-wheel drive and quattro all-wheel drive vehicles
- Available quattro all-wheel drive with self-locking center differential and wheel-selective torque control (torque vectoring
- Standard Audi drive select including four modes – comfort, auto, dynamic and individual which allows the driver to change gear shift points, steering, damper control and adaptive cruise control adjustments
- Available sport suspension lowers ride height by approximately 23 mm
- Available adaptive damping suspension (-10 mm ride height) enables various suspension and damping combinations which are adjustable via Audi drive select
Design and Body
The all-new A4 represents the latest refinements in Audi design, from the crisp, wrap-around lines emphasizing the vehicle’s length to the powerful wheel arches that accentuate the vehicle’s performance appeal. The front of the A4 boasts the signature Singleframe® grille which adds depth and sporty character and a newly designed clam-shell hood which flows seamlessly into the shoulder line, giving the A4 a dynamic stance. The available Audi LED headlights with progressive undercut design provide a focused look and give the A4 an unmistakable appearance. With the introduction of LED technology on the Audi R8 and A8, which was then brought to the mass market on the A4, LED headlights are an Audi signature and have become an industry standard.
Design and body highlights include:
- Singleframe® grille with Aluminum-optic surround
- Standard Audi xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights and dynamic LED taillights with dynamic turn signals, or optional LED headlights
- Standard power-adjustable and heated exterior side mirrors
- Standard 17” 5-parallel spoke design wheels with all-season tires, optional 18” 5-spoke dynamic design wheels with all-season tires or optional 19” Audi
- Sport 10-V spoke design wheels with summer tires
- Available special First Edition package includes front sport seats with seat ventilation, aluminum Trimarin inlays, three-spoke multifunction flat-bottom sport steering wheel and 18” Audi
- Sport® 5-arm pylon design Black/Silver-finish wheels with all-season tires
The refined interior of the A4, reminiscent of the award-winning interior in Audi’s flagship sedan, the A8, includes greater attention to detail through functional refinements and additional driver-focused technologies. The acoustic windshield was designed to help keep cabin-noise to an exceptionally low level and standard ambient LED interior lighting creates a positive sense of space and highlights the high-quality materials throughout the interior. In addition, the all-new A4 features improved interior space with increased shoulder and head clearance for the driver and front-seat passenger as well as increased rear legroom.
Interior features include:
- Three-spoke multifunction steering wheel
- Standard ambient LED lighting
- Standard three-zone automatic climate control with wing-design wrap-around dashboard and diffuser air vent helps recreate natural airflow
- 8-way power front seats with 4-way power lumbar support for driver
- Standard power sunroof with tilt and sliding functionality
- Split-folding rear seatback with 40/20/40 configuration including center armrest and cup holders
The Audi A4 offers benchmark infotainment features such as the available Audi virtual cockpit and for the first time, a full-color head-up display, both bring relevant driving information directly front and center for the driver.